Wednesday 24 August 2011

Jason Burke on Islamic Militancy

Just because he's an amazing knowledgeable journalist:

Jason Burke interview

I read Giles Keppel at SOAS so I remember the book well. I haven't read the revised edition which came out post 9-11.

Ruthven is incredible on the Muslim Brotherhood, and again read another one of his books at SOAS. I have not read A Fury for God, but will get round to it.

Heghammer's Jihad in Saudi Arabia is exactly the type of measured commentary and analysis we should all read to understand islamic militancy. I wonder if he will explore Jihadists in Pakistan or other areas. Would be interesting to see the parallels and contrasts.

I read The Secret Agent after I had read A Heart of Darkness by J Conrad. I do agree with Jason Burke that the book reveals how the psyche of ideologies work. Extremists/militants/whateverists aren't very often groups of individuals who are well organised or slick in their execution of tasks or capabilites. All too often, they are groups of amateurs who are motivated by a passion for a cause.

No comments:

Post a Comment